Chef’s Corner: Caramel Apple Donut Tart
It’s no secret that we’ve fallen for fall here at Dunkin’ Donuts. From caramel apple donuts, to apple cider, pumpkin lattes, and more, we’re big believers in savoring the season. Inspired by one of our favorite fall activities – apple picking – our Caramel Apple Donut Tart recipe offers a great way to combine Dunkin’ Donuts’ caramel apple donut and apple cider with your extra apples.
Created by Dunkin’ Brands’ Executive Chef and Vice President of Product Innovation, Stan Frankenthaler, this recipe was created for folks who enjoy the taste of caramel and apples. Featuring a combination of tart Granny Smith apples with sweet caramel apple donuts and a delicious caramel sauce, this recipe is great for a weekend brunch, or dessert.
Caramel Apple Donut Tart
- 4 Apples (a mixture of Granny Smith and Macintosh)
- Cider Caramel (see recipe below)
- Medium Dunkin’ Donuts Apple Cider (14 oz)
- 1 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, plus 2 Tablespoons for Ramekins
- 4 Dunkin’ Donuts Caramel Apple Donuts
- 6 Ramekins
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Using the 2 Tablespoons of butter, lightly grease each ramekin.
- Prepare the caramel sauce (recipe listed below).
- Peel the apples, cut each in half and then slice into thin crescent shapes.
- Layer the apples into the bottom of each ramekin, making sure to begin layering around the outer edge in a circle and finishing in the center. Place a second layer on top (the apples in the end will be the top of the dessert, so you want to make sure to keep them layered nicely).
- Cut each donut in half, creating two crescent shape pieces. Taking each half, slice into thirds - each piece should also be crescent shaped. Set aside.
- Once the caramel sauce is made, divide among the 6 ramekins and pour the sauce over the apples.
- Top the apples and caramel sauce with the donuts. Layering the donuts again around the edge, crescent side out (preferably the glazed side of the donut facing out), covering the entire top of the dish.
- Cover in aluminum foil, bake for approximately 30 minutes, then remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the dishes from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a knife, gently run it around the edge of each ramekin.
- Using a plate in one hand place on top of the apple donut tart, with the other hand, flip the tart and plate over. Remove the ramekin, the apple donut tart should slide right out and you will now have the apples on top.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Cider Caramel Sauce
- In a pan, over medium heat, add apple cider and sugar.
- Stir to combine and cook until the cider has reduced slightly and the color has deepened, approximately 10 minutes.
- Once the cider is slightly darker in color, remove pan from heat, stir in cold butter slowly.
What do you think of this recipe? Is there a dish that you'd like for our culinary dream team to create a cooking with Dunkin’ recipe for? Leave a comment on our Facebook Wall and let us know!